A DisplayPort cable refers to a digital cable mainly designed for video or audio connectivity. You can find it used mainly in between a monitor/display and a computer. One of the reasons why you should invest in the best DisplayPort cable is that it makes the display cable selection process easier. A standard DisplayPort cable is one that you can expect to work specifically for any DisplayPort monitor and DisplayPort Source device, like a laptop or PC.
In other words, the cable works with the first displays and systems based on DisplayPort that were introduced five years ago. The good news is that you can expect it to continue working with the future and newest displays and systems supporting display and multi-stream resolutions of up to 4K at 60Hz.
It is also possible for you to use the standard DisplayPort cable in between a multi-stream hub and computer, or in between multi-stream monitors that are daisy-chainable. That said, it is safe to assume that you don’t need to obtain a special cable just to offer support to specific DisplayPort capabilities.
But before we go to the factors of consideration for the best choice, let’s first highlight the five best products on the market.
Rankie 6FT Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDMI HDTV Cable
Very good quality with reasonable price
Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to DVI Cable
This product is an indispensable companion for your laptop or desktop equipped with DisplayPort
Accell B142C-007B UltraAV DisplayPort 1.2 Cable
This cable is engineered using the highest quality components for optimum signal transfer and maximum sound and picture quality.
Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDTV Cable
This cable could be the ultimate solution for your needs
Cable Matters Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cable
You can connect your tablet or laptop into a monitor without a separate DVI cable
Top 5 Best DisplayPort Cable Reviews
Rankie 6FT Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDMI HDTV Cable (Black)
Many consider this specific product from Rankie as the best DisplayPort cable for several reasons. This 1.8-meter DisplayPort cable is capable of transmitting HD audio and video from your PC to an HDTV. Such capability is good for gaming and video streaming. You can also use it for connecting and configuring the monitor if you want a mirrored display or extended desktop.
Keep in mind that it is not bi-directional, which means that its capability is to convert only the single from the cable, itself, to the HDTV. You can also connect it to a projector or monitor that has HDMI port, provided it is compatible with DisplayPort. The connector also features latches, which is a good thing as these promote a more secure connection. Also, it features a release button, which you need to depress prior to unplugging it.
- Good quality
- Easy to route
- Provides a secure connection with the aid of its built-in latches
- Has adequate support for up to 1920x1200/1080P (Full HD) video resolutions
- High speed cable, which you can use to connect the docking station into the wall jack
- Gold plating is only lightly applied
- Cable’s diameter is not as big as DVI or HDMI cables
- Loose fitting – It fits too loosely that some users feel like it will fall anytime
Despite the mentioned cons, the DisplayPort cable’s audio and visual capability still work with minimal to zero issues. Added to its features are the gold-plated connectors, braid and foil shielding, and bare copper connectors – all of which aid in improving its performance while also promoting a more reliable connection.
Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to DVI Cable, 6 Feet
This gold-plated DisplayPort to DVI cable offered by Cable Matters could be your best buddy if you are looking for something to improve the functionality of your desktop or laptop. With the aid of this cable, you will have an easier time extending the functionality of your desktop into a second monitor. Such is beneficial if you are looking to expand your workstation or show your presentations at work or school on a projector.
It has gold-plated connectors. Combined with braid and foil shielding, as well as bare copper conductors, you can also expect it to showcase its superiority in terms of performance. Also, you have an assurance that the pictures it presents will be of exceptional quality.
- Offers clear and exceptional picture quality
- Supports up to 1920x1200 PC resolutions and 1080p HDTV resolutions
- Cable construction is shielded, thereby minimizing risk of any radio and electromagnetic interference
- Comes with screw locking and latching connectors – These connectors are beneficial if you want to secure the cables and prevent the risk of accidental disconnection.
- Provides a cost-effective solution for your DisplayPort to DVI connection needs – You no longer need to spend money to upgrade your monitor because of compatibility issues.
- Cable is slightly flimsier than what some users initially expected
- DisplayPort plug is too big - Some still need to cut their PC case to let it fit in between the PCI slots so they can plug it into their graphics card.
Considering the fact that it offers a cost-effective solution if you are in search of the best DisplayPort cable, this product from Cable Matters is worth checking and trying out. You can use it to connect your DVI PC monitor into a DisplayPort video card or output, so you do not need to worry about paying for monitor upgrades for compatibility purposes.
Accell B142C-007B UltraAV DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Cable with Locking Latches - 6.6 Feet (2 Meters)
This 6.6 Feet (2-meter) cable from Accell could be the one you need if you are searching for the best DisplayPort cable with all the functionality and features you need. With the help of this cable, you can connect your DisplayPort supported PC into a monitor or any other device, which is also supported by DisplayPort. Among the best features of this cable are the locking DisplayPort connectors designed to provide a reliable and secure connection.
The connectors are easy to use. You just need to press the installed one-touch latch button. The fact that the cables are protected by a soft UltraFlex jacket also ensures that you can protect them from all sorts of deformations and bends that can be damaging to the product. It also provides adequate support to all HD resolutions, stereoscopic 3D graphics and to the daisy-chaining of several monitors.
- Has a connector, which is guaranteed to fit snugly
- Meets all the certifications and requirements of DisplayPort
- Connection security and reliability are guaranteed with the latches installed in the unit
- Cable has protection from possible deformations and bends because of its soft UltraFlex jacket
- High-quality and heavy-duty cable: Supports PC resolutions up to 3840x2160 and 3D video; supports all HDTV resolutions, including 1080p and 4K
- Cables are quite heavy and stiff, causing strains if improperly routed
The ability of Accell B142C-007B UltraAV DisplayPort to support various HD PC resolutions is one of its strongest points. It also has high-density triple metal shielding as well as high purity conductors made of copper, which further improves the performance of the cable.
Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDTV Cable 10 Feet
This 10-feet cable from Cable Matters could be the ultimate solution for your DisplayPort to HDTV cable needs. It is convenient to use since you can directly connect it to a PC equipped by DisplayPort into a monitor, projector or HDTV (provided it has an HDMI output). You can also use it to transmit HD audio and video from your PC to an HDTV. This is a good thing if you want to have an easier time streaming videos or enjoying an intense game.
Another positive point of this cable is that it gives you the opportunity to configure and connect your monitor, thereby allowing you to enjoy mirrored displays or an extended desktop. You can also use it to enjoy watching your favorite movies in a big screen. It combines the functions of bare copper conductors, gold-plated connectors and braid and foil shields to ensure that the cable continues to deliver superior performance. Such combination also ensures high quality of pictures plus authentic sounds.
- Convenient to use
- 10-feet long, which is just the right length
- Pictures and sounds are of top-notch quality - Supports video resolutions up to 1920x1200 / 1080P (Full HD) and flawless audio pass-thru for uncompressed digital 7.1, 5.1 or 2 channels
- Promotes ease in configuring and connecting your monitor
- Combines the functions of the copper conductors, gold-plated connectors and shields, making it capable of leveling up its performance and durability
- Still needs an active capable to support more than two monitors
- Does not work as a bi-directional adapter, which means that its functions only cover the conversion of signal from DisplayPort into HDTV
While there are flaws to this DisplayPort cable, it is still undeniable that many consider this as the best DisplayPort cable because it has almost everything that they need. It offers support to a number of video resolutions while also holding features designed to promote a more secure connection.
Cable Matters Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ 2 Port Compatible) to DVI Cable in Black 6 Feet
Featuring a Mini DisplayPort, this 6-feet cable in black could be the ultimate buddy for your PC, Mac and tablet. With this product, you will have an easier time directly connecting your tablet or laptop into a monitor, so you can enjoy an HD video streaming. The good news is that you can do this without the need to use a separate DVI cable. This is also beneficial if you want your desktop to be expanded into a second monitor, thereby allowing you to expand your workstation as well.
Furthermore, it gives you the opportunity to give presentations using a projector effortlessly. This cable from Cable Matters is just a low-profile connector but it holds a lot of features designed to improve your experience when using it. The connector even boasts of a molded design capable of relieving strain, thereby boosting its overall durability. With its ergonomic design, which also comes with easy to grip treads, you can plug and unplug it with ease.
- Makes it easier for you to connect your tablet or laptop directly into a monitor
- Allows HD video streaming without requiring you to use another DVI cable
- Features a molded design, which relieves stress and makes the cable more durable
- Ergonomic design, making it easier to use and grip
- Use Foil & braid shielding reduces Electromagnetic interference
- Did not last that long for some users
Despite that, one can’t still discount the fact that it is one of the best DisplayPort cable options in the market today. With the combined benefits, capabilities and functionalities of all its features, you will end up being one hundred percent satisfied with this product.
What you should Know About the DisplayPort Cable?
1. Types of DisplayPort cable
One thing that you have to know about the best DisplayPort cable is that it is available in two main sizes/types. The first one is the full-sized version, which is the Macro DisplayPort that is not yet that common on several devices. The smaller version, on the other hand, is the Mini DisplayPort created by Apple. It is a similar port to the Thunderbolt. Also, take note that the DisplayPort cable comes with 20 pins.
2. Picture Quality, Bandwidth and Resolution
The best DisplayPort cable is capable of supporting up to 3840x2160 pixels video resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate. You can also expect it to support all common formats used in 3D video. When it comes to bandwidth, expect the cable to be capable of managing up to 17.28 Gbps while having the ability to double it up to 32.4 Gbps.
The problem with DisplayPort, though, is that it does not have support for Ethernet data. In addition, standard ones don’t come with audio return channel. Still, it has multiple video outputs capability, which results to more than just a single display.
When it comes to audio, take note that just like the HDMI, the latest version of DisplayPort can support a max of 8 digital audio channels between 24-bit and 192 kHz.
DisplayPort is capable of delivering a 4K video with the help of a passive capable of up to 2m length. While it is possible for you to work with up to 15m passive cable, note that this will only limit you to 1080p resolution. The best bet is capable of managing up to 2560x1600-pixel resolution. This tends to be more achievable without any issues if you over five meters cable.
Take note of the mentioned factors in this section these are the keys to finding the best DisplayPort cable for you.
The best DisplayPort cable does not have to be the most expensive product presently available in the market. You will know it is the best one if it is offered at a reasonable price without sacrificing its quality and performance. Furthermore, it should be easy to use and sturdy enough that it can serve you for a long time. It should also help display top-notch quality videos, audio files and presentations.